Eco Friendly school
At its core, Eco Friendly means that any given thing does not harm or affect the planet in a negative way. In contrast, sustainable or sustainability is defined by the United Nations as “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs“.
Our work in Year 1 class
- We encourage our students to walk to reduce our carbon footprint.
- We switch off the classroom lights and the monitors when not in use.
- We offer vegetarian meals, which have a lower carbon footprint so we encourage our students to think carefully of their choices.
- We use recycle bins for paper scraps and make our own compost out of apple cores and fruit peel.
- We are developing our Year 1 garden using recycling and natural materials.
- We grow our own seeds and vegetables.
- We use old Wellington boots and plastic bottles as flower pots.
- We measure the rainfall and learn about the climate, the weather and the environment in different parts of the world, including the UK and Africa.