Physical Education Intent
At Shrivenham CE Primary school, we recognise the importance of physical education and the key role it plays in promoting long term healthy lifestyles. The intent of our Physical Education curriculum is to provide all children with high quality physical and sporting opportunities. It is our vision for every pupil to succeed and achieve their full potential as to lead physically active lifestyles. We strive to inspire our learners through dynamic PE lessons that are enjoyable, challenging and accessible to all. We would like our pupils to appreciate the benefits of a healthy and physically active lifestyle through the teaching of healthy life choices. Through our delivery of PE we will provide opportunities for pupils to develop core values and transferrable life skills such as fairness, respect and celebration as well as providing them with opportunities to take part in competitive sport.
At Shrivenham we want the children to:
- Gain a wide experience of all physical activities in the National Curriculum
- Be physically active and find enjoyment in physical activity
- Find a lasting sense of purpose, achievement and fulfilment in physical activity
- Develop physical skills, habits and interests that will promote a healthy lifestyle
- Develop positive attitudes to physical endeavour including fair play, perseverance and sporting behaviour, and an ability to cope with success and failure
- Learn how to co-operate with each other and work successfully in pairs, groups and teams. Also to show appreciation for their own and others' strengths and weaknesses
- Learn how physical exercise affects the body
- Understand the needs for safe practice in physical activities and how to achieve this
- Be able to swim proficiently by the time they leave Primary school.
- Be given sufficient opportunity to learn in the outdoor environment
- To be given the opportunity and support to develop leadership skills.